The station was located along the tracks that run through modern day downtown Fort Pierce. For half a century most cargo and passenger transportation, in and out of the area, was by coastal schooners or river boats.
In 1894 Henry Flagler brought his railroad down the east coast of Florida from Jacksonville. This allowed growers and fisherman access to northern markets. Passengers could travel faster and in a much more comfortable manner. Employment on the railroad helped to provide steady wages for the less prominent area residents.
Mr. Flagler designated Fort Pierce as a division point in 1911. The population soared! The sleepy little hamlet of 300 souls grew to 800 in 1905 and jumped to 3500 a decade later.